Interview: Ooh Woo Ooh - Take Chance On Me.
Well I’ll be buggered.
I’ve been wanting to get out of production and back into an agency for a while now, so when The O mentioned they were looking for writers, I figured “Meh, lemme send ‘em a li’l CV, see what happens...”
(I tend to think in contracted words and lots of apostrophes. It’s how I roll.)
So I did.
I sent this:
"MY WORK EXPERIENCE:
11/2003 - 3/2004
The First Place – Jozi, South Africa
Position: Copywriter
My first full-time advertising job after graduating in November 2003, The First Place was where I first learnt about life in the advertising industry. It was nothing like how they described it in college, let me tell you.
Except the bit about the free coffee.
3/2004 - 7/2004
The Second Place – Also Jozi, South Africa
Position: Copywriter
Being young, and let’s face it, stupid – I took the money. Was offered a job at The Second Place, dashed over, worked as a copywriter on some fabulous accounts, and then, with quite a few jobs hinging on us winning the MTN account, we didn’t. So I was retrenched three months later. Oops.
8/2004 – 7/2005
The Third Place – Jozi Too, South Africa
Position: Copywriter
Luckily, The Third Place took me in. For almost a year I was lucky enough to work on great brands like Playstation, Energiser, Nedbank and HTH. Hey, I even won a Loerie for my PlayStation ad. Unfortunately due to shifting company dynamics and the loss of a couple of key accounts, major downsizing occurred and again, I was one of the casualties. Retrenched twice at 23. I’m pretty sure that’s some kind of record.
I went overseas.
8/2005 – 3/2006
International Traveller-Type Person
Position: Quite Often Cramped Buses & Crowded Digs’.
London, Scotland, the USA and South America. The food is often horrible.
4/2006 – Present
My Current Place – Still Jozi, South Africa
Position: Sales & Client Service
Having returned from lots of airports and dodgy food, I changed my workplace from an agency, to a production company. What a change! It’s been an incredibly rewarding experience, and I’ve learnt an exceptional amount about both production, and customer service. However, I miss writing; and to be perfectly honest, production just isn’t my forte. Some ‘have it’, some don’t.
I don’t.
So I’d like to be a copywriter again. Please."
Holy crap – it actually freakin’ worked.
I start next month. I’m shite-ing ma keks...
Friday, August 3
11 comments:
HAHAHAAA Squirt! *I* stole MTN from right under your nose with some brilliant creative (which, after it was won, never saw the light of day - they came up with Jozi-bred shite instead)!
So, technically speaking, you're the reason I spent 8 weeks door knocking for Scottish Hydro Electric?
Gee.
Thanks.
Ouch, that's gotta smart. The picture, I mean - not getting a new job. Although...
I just realised I made the Wrangler squirt.
So much for 'not on demand'...
Wow, for a copywriter, capitalisation equalling proper nouns doesn't come easily, eh? Do these people know what they're getting themselves into?
'A whole mess o' trouble' was one person's view.
I prefer to think of it as 'individual flair'.
Oy! wot an illustration to go with the copy
good luck - I used to be an all in one account exec and do the copy for the particularly nasty clients back in the day, more than a decade ago ;p
Congratulations, dear - I'm sure you'll knock 'em dead.
Thanks lass. :)
*woohoo*
Moving up in the world, congrats :)
One look at that pic and I've gone all watertight. Eep.
May your pen be filled with ink and your fingers faster than lightening.
(oooh eeerr)
Post a Comment